Health and Wellness

Eating Disorders

Crisis Services at Western
(M-F daytime)

phone or go in person

Student Development Centre

4th floor
Student Services Building

Student Health Services (SHS)
519.661.3030 OR
UCC Rm 11 (lower level)

After Hours Crisis Resources

Campus Community Police Service
- Emergency: Call 911
- Non-emergencies or inquiries:

London Crisis Response Line
Call 24/7 for phone crisis response

The most common types of eating disorders include anorexia (starving oneself or eating as little as possible), bulimia (binge eating followed by self-induced vomiting or abuse of laxatives) or Eating Disorders Not otherwise specific (EDNOS), which is an eating disorder that does not meet the full criteria of anorexia or bulimia.  Eating disorders are often a way of coping with problems that a person finds too painful or difficult to deal with directly.

Signs and symptoms

People with an eating disorder usually work very hard to keep it secret, and many find it very difficult to acknowledge that they have a problem.  If you suspect your friend, student or colleague has an eating disorder, you should encourage him/her to seek professional help.  When speaking with them it is helpful to express your concern and to focus on feelings, not on weight and food.  If you are concerned that you have an eating disorder, there are resources on campus that can help.