Health and Wellness

Strategies for Responding to Students in Distress

Crisis Services at Western
(M-F daytime)

phone or go in person

Student Development Centre

4th floor
Student Services Building

Student Health Services (SHS)
519.661.3030 OR
UCC Rm 11 (lower level)

After Hours Crisis Resources

Campus Community Police Service
- Emergency: Call 911
- Non-emergencies or inquiries:

London Crisis Response Line
Call 24/7 for phone crisis response

Make Contact

Supportive Communication

Do: Don't:

Be Aware of Your Own Limitations

What to Say

Make a general statement such as: "You seem to be fairly upset about this and I think that you could use some help in sorting out these issues. I am concerned about you and I would like you to consider talking with one of the personal counsellors at the Counselling Centre."

If the referral is rejected, do not take it personally. Listen to the student's concerns about seeking help. Normalize the referral process, making it clear that your wanting the student to see a counsellor does not mean that you think that there is something wrong with the student. Emphasize that the Western's Counselling Services are free and easy to access, and that the student can check it out to see if it is helpful. Keep the lines of communication open.